"The Sounds of Silence" - Silence as a Depression Getaway


As I wrote this, before leaving for the south, it was a beautiful winter morning in the small town in Ontario where I live. We have had a fresh snow fall and it is still snowing lightly. It is clean, magical and begged me to take one of my longer walks. 

If you have walked in the snow you know it is not a quiet experience. Your feet make a crunching sound each time they hit the ground, and as your arms swing across your winter attire there is usually a swishing sound as well.

Since I love the rhythm of my walking, and enjoy the way my mind works while I walk, I sometimes forget to stop occasionally and look around at the beautiful scenery.

But not this morning. And as soon as I stopped I experienced the best silence you can ever imagine - total silence accompanied by a beautiful scene, much like this one above. 

Silence combined with beauty
 is an amazing depression getaway.

A popular song in my day was Simon and Garfunkel's 'The Sound of Silence'. There have been other popular songs written as odes to silence such as 'Silence is Golden' or 'Silent Night'.

SILENCE - mere silence is a depression getaway. Since one of the common symptoms of depression is constant, nagging, depressing thoughts we don't get much silence. These thoughts act like noise in our brain. Silence does not seem an option. But we can get some if we make a point of it. 

I was blessed with a special kind of snowy, country silence this morning. But there are many more ways to experience silence. You can figure that one out for yourself.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you get to experience silence now and then? Why not right now?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?