Volunteering - You Get More Than You Give

 Volunteering - You Get More Than You Give

Is it still possible to volunteer during covid? You bet!


It sure is. I found an article, no longer available online, that lists the following benefits of volunteering:

  1. The power to change lives.  
  2. The ability to involve more people.  
  3. A physical feeling of satisfaction. 
  4. New friends and stronger friendships.
  5. Connection and confidence. 
  6. Social and networking skills.
  7. A readiness to take on the world.
  8. Value to schools and employers. 
  9. A chance to pay it forward.
  10. A sense that you have more time. 
  11. Feelings of gratitude. 
Maybe you would like to read more about the benefits of volunteering

What about our mental health? You may think that if you suffer from depression you have nothing to give. You won't know that is true until you try. Besides, the benefits of volunteering may be just what you need! 

You may think that volunteering during these times of social distancing seems unlikely. But not so much. If you live in Ontario, just call 'Community Care' and see what they need. You could even call your local hospital and discover what opportunities they might have for you.

WHAT ABOUT ME? Frankly, I have avoided volunteering even though I thought it might be a depression getaway. I was afraid of committing myself and then not being able to turn up on one of my bad days. But with covid and so much time on my hands, I decided to help out at our local food bank, and I just love it. It is only a few hours a week, easy work, seems worthwhile, reminds me how lucky I am, and I have made some new friends (despite the 3 masks we are required to wear and the six feet distancing). I can walk over there. And it makes me feel useful instead of useless!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling? Do you already volunteer somewhere? Could this be an option for you? What have you got to lose?

Don't give up. I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.








Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?