My Mother-in-Law is For the Birds

 My Mother-in Law is For the Birds!


Well, not really. I mean 'for the birds' means worthless or trivial and my mother-in-law is certainly not that. She is definitely valuable and meaningful. I just said she is 'for the birds' to get your attention. Really I won the mother-in-law lottery. She is wonderful.

My 95-year-old mother-in-law is vital, alert, and still interested in life. She never complains even though she has hardly been able to get out for over a year. But I mention the birds because that has been the hobby that has helped her to endure the covid restrictions while living in a seniors residence.

Her granddaughter outfitted her with three birdfeeders, one which attaches to the window and what a wonderful pastime that has become.

Birds are small but powerful creatures. They bring joy, entertainment, beauty, and awe. They are precious and surprising. They are delicate and intricate. Some are colourful and beautiful. Some make wonderful sounds. I could go on and on.

And so could my mother-in-law! We can't see her often due to covid restrictions but we call her every day and she always has news about her birds.

Watching the birds has made a big difference in her life. It has helped her through covid and will continue to bring her joy long after. And now that summer has arrived we have added a bird bath plus a hummingbird feeder to her little bird village.

Nature can help all of us through covid. There is awe in nature and a perfect distraction from our isolation. Nature connects us to something greater than ourselves.

We all need something to help us through difficult times.

WHAT ABOUT ME? What has helped me get through covid? Well, I have lots of practice coping with isolation and depression and so I came into this covid environment well-equipped. I already have my quiet pastimes in place that keep me happy at home. I must admit that now that summer has arrived in Ontario I am even more able to be in nature.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have anything special that has helped you cope with the covid restrictions?

Don't give up! I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?