Babies as Antidepressants




Okay, okay, maybe I am just using my blog as a soapbox to talk about my grandchildren, especially my newest one, number four.

But today for a sharing memories post I would like to remember when I became a grandmother for the first time. It was the fall of 2007. Nothing could have prepared me for the thrill, the joy, the physical excitement, the emotional high and the peace to my heart each time I held that little one.

Even if I wasn't having a good day, seeing that little one would make it into a good day, a great day. It even got to the point that if I WAS having a bad day, I would make arrangements to visit just to boost my spirits.

Was it because it was my very own grandchild? Well I am sure that was a factor.

But, I remember even way back in 1995 when I was brokenhearted over my unwanted divorce, I babysat a new baby for my friend. For the moments that I was holding that baby I found it hard to think about my own misery. Holding that baby was like medicine, like a powerful drug, causing me to be able to think only about that little miracle I was holding onto.


Holding a baby can make time stand still for a moment. It can be a moment in time when you are transported from your troubles, and worries and are able to focus on something beautiful, miraculous, and in the case of this little picture above, give you a laugh.

The innocence, the perfection, the wonder can all contribute to giving you a lift, a break a healing balm from troubled thoughts.
Holding a baby is a great depression getaway!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Know anyone who has a baby you could arrange to hold for a moment?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?