Want to be a Vigilante for Depression?




Want to be a VIGILANTE
 for your depression journey?

IF NOT YOU, THEN WHO?


Unknown ObjectI know that when we think of a vigilante we think of violence. That may well be the case. But if you look at this definition of vigilante, notice the last part, the most important part: "self-appointed doer of justice".

I like the sounds of that!

Definition of VIGILANTE: a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate); broadly a self-appointed doer of justice

Now don't confuse 'vigilante' for 'villain' which is 'a deliberate scoundrel or criminal'.

My favourite vigilante would be Robin Hood. I like to think of him as a gentle vigilante, at least from my childhood memories of the TV show. Definitely a doer of justice, although I guess he defined justice in his own way.

Movies have depicted vigilantes as mainly violent, vindictive and full of revenge. You may want to read this list of '10 Great Vigilante Movies...'.just for fun.

I know the word vigilante often implies a team effort. Maybe you are fortunate enough to have a team, maybe a loved one, your doctor, your therapist or psychiatrist? That would be nice but those professionals aren't with you all the time. They can't be there noticing what needs to be noticed and doing something about it. 

So, if you are going to be a vigilante for your own depression, what would that look like?

Well, let's look at the root of the word 'vigilante' which is 'vigilant'.



Now we're getting somewhere.

Do you think that would be a wise choice? To be vigilant, alertly watchful in order to avoid danger, when it comes to your own depression?

Being vigilant has become the key to my own part in depression recovery. If I am not vigilant then triggers will happen and go unnoticed and cause me to dip into a low mood.

If I am not vigilant about the amount of sleep I get that will also trigger a low mood.

If I'm not vigilant about making too many plans I will get overtired, overwhelmed and that will lead to a dip in my mood.

I have chosen vigilance. This is my job, to be vigilant about the possible dangers, the triggers of a depressive episode.

I am a VIGILANTE for my own depression journey. Traditionally in fiction, a vigilante has a group behind him. Not so with depression. Being your own vigilante is a lonely job, but key to managing depression.

If I wasn't I would suffer more than I do. It has been worth it. 

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeilng today? Would you say you are vigilant over the triggers for your depression? Are you willing to become a vigilante for your own journey?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.

Vigilance can be your 'hope in the darkness'.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?