The Secret to Managing Food Cravings: Part 2


Aren't those grapes pretty and frosty? Yes, that is a picture of frozen grapes! If you haven't tried them yet you are in for a wonderful sweet surprise.


Frozen grapes are so sweet they can easily substitute for candy.


Confession! I am not handling my food cravings well at all right now. I did pretty well for about two weeks, which seems to be my max but then it only takes one sweet, usually ice cream and then I am off and running for sweets and bread! Eventually I get disgusted with myself, which usually takes a week and I try again to stay away from the culprits! Kind of like my bipolar mood swing, it's a vicious cycle of on and off sweets, but I still think it is better than to just indulge, indulge, indulge without any break which leads to fat!
Fat is definitely NOT a good depression getaway. 

Besides sugar and bread don't make me feel better. Well, not totally true. When I put it in my mouth it feels great but I always want more and more and more and by the time I am satisfied I feel rotten.

So this a reminder to me as well as you.

I am sharing some secrets about managing food cravings. Last time I told you that when I give up sweets and bread I don't crave them anymore.

This time I'm going to share some ideas for substituting for those poor carbs.

Any fruit can be a great substitute for refined sugar, especially for candy. Fruit is full of sugar and not the kind that causes cravings! Frozen grapes are the absolute sweetest.

Unknown Object
But pineapple comes in a close second. You could get some canned pineapple (packed in its own juice) and mix it with some plain yogurt (avoid the flavored yogurts, they are either full of sugar or aspartame) and add a few drops of vanilla for a sweet pick me up. To make it seem like ice cream, freeze it.

What is your favorite fruit? Do you have a lot of fruit in your diet? Now the experts say that even fruit is full of sugar although it is a good sugar, but that it should be consumed with some kind of protein such as dairy or nuts, to balance it out.

But what about those bread cravings? I mean, bread isn't going to make me fat is it? Well lots of bread will! Plus bread is an easy grab and snack when you are not in the mood to make a healthy meal which makes it even more tempting.

So what can you substitute? There are a lot of gluten free products to try out there. Try some gluten free or wheat free breads until you find one you like.


How about some tostitoes? They come in wheat free and can be a great starch substitute. Put some shredded cheese on them and green peppers to make a well rounded meal. Add salsa (calorie free!) and sour cream.



Well how about a substitute for cookies or donuts? Try (wheat free) toast and peanut butter and jam (a little jam won't hurt).It will fill you and satisfy your body better than cookies.

Since my husband has recenty been diagnosed with diabetes I am learning even more about sugar substitutes. Honestly, I still can't resist altogether, neither can he, but we are trying.

Besides, sugar can have such a negative effect on mood that it is worth it to at least try a sugar free diet. But don't take my word for it. Check out the experts.

Would you like to know 'Why Sugar is Poison for Depression?'

Did you know about these 'Five Foods That Will Put You in a Rotten Mood?'

Are you beginning to believe that 'There is a Mental Heath Reason to Avoid Added Sugar'?

'Why Sugar is Dangerous to Depression?' is a question we should all be asking.

You may wish to read some practical tips on 'Why Sugar Makes You Depressed and How to Detox From It'.

Confession: when my mood starts to dive the first thing I do is reach for sugar. I just can't help it. But I try to keep sugar indulgences the exception rather than the rule. Think I had better read all of these articles again for a pep talk!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Have you noticed the sugar/depression connection? Are you ready to try managing those food cravings? It's hard, yes, but not impossible. All you can do is try.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?