Blogging for Depression: Part One


Blogging is one of my depression coping strategies. It didn't start that way. When I was forced to give up my little arts business due to depression, I knew I needed a creative outlet.

Writing seemed the natural choice. I always loved writing. So I decided to start with something small - a novel! (Must have been manic that day....)

Since I love to do research on anything I am pursuing, I began to read all about 'writing' and oh my goodness, there was so much advice out there. I almost got so caught up in the advice that I didn't start my novel for quite awhile. One of the bits of advice I read was 'create a blog', to have a presence out there. Seemed like a good idea to me.

My sister had a blog,  Rhondi's Rose Colored Glasses and she got a lot of pleasure out of it. It looked like fun to me.

And so it all began with my own little personal blog 'Wendalyn Loves to Write' no longer online. (Probably deleted that in an impulsive bipolar manic moment.) I shared some personal stories, talked about my writing a bit and included some inspirational material. And I loved it! I never ran out of things to say and I enjoyed the new habit.

I found it so therapeutic. It has become on of my favourite depression getaways. I even enjoy blogging so much that if nobody read it I would continue. It is a fun exercise for me.

Oh and I did write a novel, two actually. I am actually working on the third. It is a trilogy. This is also fun for me. Instead of feeling like a victim as I do sometimes with depression, I feel like I am in control. I can create any kind of characters I want and I am in complete control over what they do! A great depression getaway for me.

Blogging is a lot less intimidating than attempting a novel. It is even easier than you may think. Next time I would like to share some specific tips on blogging for depression in case you would like to give it a try.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Have you ever thought about blogging? And not necessarily about depression. You could just pick a topic that interests you.

There is hope for depression. Don't give up!


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?