The Mystery of the Headless Cat


It is a good day to share a good memory, forcing myself to remember that I have had a good life, some fun things have happened, and I have NOT been depressed every single day!

You might wonder what is so good about remembering a headless cat?

My girls were about 6 and 8 and they each had their own little kitten, Blacky and Bandit. As with all baby animals the kittens were small and fun and playful. The first thing the girls did after school everyday was find their kitten and play with it. Now we lived in the country, so kittens were bundant.

One morning after the girls had gotten on the school bus, my husband found one of the kittens, dead, with its head off. Yuck! When he mentioned it at the local coffee shop several farmers said they had seen the same thing around their farms. They were blaming it on a big old mean tom cat.

Anyways, we decided we would have to tell the girls of course, but we wouldn't give the details about the cats head being bitten off. My husband buried the headless kitten before they got home.

Little did we know that those same farmers in the coffee shop went home and reported our predicament to their families. The girls were barely off the bus when a couple of little boys in the neighbourhood rode in on their bicycles wanting to see the headless cat. Before we realized what was happening the children were hunting around the yard trying to find out where their dad had buried the cat.

So we intersepted. My husband told the kids that he would dig up the cat, make it a nice box and we would have a proper burial. But no, they could not see the little headless kitten.

I have pictures somewhere, of the solemn procession, the girls pulling a wagon with a box on it filled with the dear little dead headless cat. My husband screwed the box shut so they couldn't open it. It was sad, but it was kind of funny too....

We were country folk, cats were abundant and before the end of the day we found another kitten. From then on, the kittens were kept safely in the sun porch when we weren't home.

I have another funny story about a dead cat for you next week. Come to think of it, I have many! Can you believe a dead cat story can cheer me up?

Remembering non-depression stories can cheer me up.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Got any dead cat stories? Can you think of a little memory that was happy? Why not tell it to someone today? 



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?