God's Loving Arms


Last time I promised I would share the inspiring story I mentioned to you which resulted in me hearing from some old friends.

I found this story in the book "The Finishing Touch" by Charles Swindoll. Here it is:

"Ignace Jan Paderewski, the famous Polish pianist and statesman, was once scheduled to perform at a great concert hall in America. It was a black tie affair – high society extravaganza.

Present in the audience that evening was a woman who had brought her nine-year-old son, hoping that he would be encouraged to practice the piano if he could just hear the great Paderewski at the keyboard. Weary of waiting for the concert to begin – and being there against his wishes anyway – the lad squirmed restlessly in his seat. Then, as his mother turned to talk with friends, the boy slipped out of his seat and down the aisle, strangely drawn by the ebony concert grand sitting majestic and alone at the center of the huge stage. He sat down on the tufted leather stool, placed his small hands on the black and white keys, and began to play “Chop Sticks”.

Suddenly the crowd hushed, and hundreds of frowning faces turned in his direction. Irritated and embarrassed, some began to shout:

“Hey, get that boy away from there!”

“Where’s his mother?” 

“Somebody stop him!”

Backstage, Paderewski heard the uproar and the sound of the simple tune. When he saw what was happening, he hurried onto the stage. Without a word to the audience, he walked up behind the lad, reached his arms around either side of him, and began to improvise a countermelody. As the two made music together, the master pianist kept whispering in the boy’s ear: “Keep going. Don’t quit, son. Keep on playing … don’t stop… don’t quit.”

That is how I see my God who comforts me. Right behind me with his arms around me in case I fall, or need comfort. He never yells, he just whispers words of comfort and encouragement and says 'don't quit'.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you doing today? Do you need encouragement? 

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?