'His Eye is on the Sparrow'


There is a story about a sparrow which I love. It is found in the bible in the book of Matthew 10:29 when Jesus is instructing the people to NOT BE AFRAID. He says "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

I love that image, not only the image of God caring for the sparrows but caring for me too. This is a comfort to me when I am depressed. 

I do not think 'if God really cared for me I wouldn't even have this old depression'

Instead I think 'what a comfort it is to know that God cares for me. It helps me deal with this old depression.'

There is a lovely song that explains this idea better than I can. Here are the lyrics:

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

If you would like to see and hear this comforting old hymn, click here.

My faith in a God who cares is a solid depression getaway for me. It is a sure thing. I can count on God when I can't count on my own thoughts. Thoughts of God ground me. Believing that he cares about me is my comfort and strength.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you doing today? Where do you go for comfort and strength. Faith is free. God is available to everyone. Give Him a try. What have you got to lose?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?