How I Became a Believer


God really does help me deal with depression. I can't imagine facing this insidious illness without faith in him.

 I didn't always believe in God. As big a step as becoming a believer was, as life changing as this was, it is a really simple short story.

I was a good little girl raised in a nice home with loving parents. They took us to church every Sunday until we became teenagers and then somehow the entire family stopped going. I never really thought much about God, even when I was in church. No one spoke about God in our home even though my dad had been raised in a very religious home. Some of our relatives were 'religious' but we thought they were kind of nuts.

I did however kind of envy people who had a strong faith. I thought it would be a nice thing to have, I just didn't have it.


Until one day my sister became a christian and started sharing some books with me. People spoke in these books about faith in Jesus Christ and how their faith helped them in their everyday lives. I simply thought 'that sounds good to me' and asked my sister how I could get me some of that!

She told me to get out my bible and start reading the book of John. I did. When I got to John 3:16 where it said that "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him will not perish...." I was overcome with the truth in those words. It was like they were written just for me and they jumped out of the page and into my heart and my mind.

For some reason, on that day, I believed what I was reading. It all made sense. Jesus was real, God was real, the bible was now a book worth reading and I began a life of faith! Just like that.

I have never turned back. I wonder how I would have navigated some of the trials that have come my way without that faith.

I pray for anyone and everyone who reads this blog. Only God knows who they are. But I am praying for you... really!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you doing today? Do you believe in God? Would you like to? It's easy. Just say "God I believe you are real and I would like to become a Christian. I believe what the bible says that you sent your son, Jesus to die for me. Please forgive me of everything I've ever done wrong and come and live in my heart."

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?