You Don't Want to be NCIS: Not Clued Into Self (Part Three of 'Journaling for the Right Diagnosis)





NCIS is one of my favourite TV shows, and apparently the most-watched tv show around the world. I enjoy the characters. The plots are about murder, yes, but they seldom show gorry stuff. Humour is added into a serious topic. This show doesn't disturb my sensitive nature or bring me down in any way. It is one of my favourite Depression Getaways.

Of course, NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service but I have taken a few liberties and made an acronym just for us.
N-Not

C-Clued
I-into
S-Self

All good detectives take notes and that is what I am encouraging you to do.
My first experience in going to the doctor regarding my depression had no journal involved. I could barely communicate my feelings, let alone give my doctor a list of symptoms or triggers. I assumed that the doctor would give me the right kind of medication and my symptoms would immediately go away.
But it wasn't that simple or that quick.
Your doctor’s ability to help you is based on what you share with them. The more information you have for them, the more they can come to a proper diagnosis and get you the right kind of medication.
If you don’t get the right diagnosis, you won’t receive the right treatment.
If you don’t get the right treatment, you won’t get better.
We have be talking about how journaling can help you to get a right diagnosis. By recording your thoughts, your activities, your feelings and your medication reactions, you can have a wealth of information to take to your doctor’s appointments with you.
If you are able to get a medication that helps you, then you are in an even better position to help yourself because that medication will help you to think more clearly.
So, what sorts of things should you record in this journal? I am so glad you asked.
You should record not only activities, but your reaction to those activities.
Here is a list of 12 sample activities that would be worth noting:
1. sleep 
2. sex
3. food
4. socializing
5. work
6. fresh air
7. exercise
8. positive human interaction
9. negative human interaction
10. worries
11. fears
12. negative thoughts.
Another aspect of these comments is the time of day when the activities occurred. Part of managing a life with depression is managing yourself.
What might you discover? Maybe you feel worse after consuming sugar or alcohol. You feel okay in the morning as long as no one talks to you. You feel better when you exercise. You prefer being alone. These are just some examples of things you may or may not discover about yourself.
You need to know yourself. That takes time. But it makes such a difference with depression if you take the time. You can improve your moods if you can arrange your life in a way that works for you.
I understand that we cannot control every aspect of our lives, but at least we can control some. And if it can make a difference to how you feel, then wouldn’t it be worth it?
WHAT ABOUT ME? If I had that list in the early days as I battled depression I would have learned that socializing tires me. And when I get tired I get depressed.  
WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Are you convinced yet that journaling could have benefits for you? Are you ready to get started? Or have you already been journaling? What have you got to lose?
Don't give up! I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?