Journaling is like Gardening - You Need Tools (Part Four of 'Journaling Through Depression')


Gardening compared to journaling? Well, that works for me since I love to do both. But for some of you both a garden or a journal may seem overwhelming.

I remember my first few attempts at a vegetable garden. I had no clue and didn't realize I was planting in hard clay!


 My second garden was better, the soil was excellent and I grew some great stuff, but I not only had not realized how much work there was but also didn't face the fact that I just didn't have the time to do it. There were more weeds than produce. 


By the time I attempted my third vegetable garden, I had done a lot of reading, I had more time and went into it informed and ready. It was beautiful to look at, a joy to work in and I took a lot of wonderful vegetables out of it. 


Journaling can be like that. In theory it sounds great, but really doing it may not be easy for some.

MEMORY LOSS

Unfortunately, our memory can be affected both by depression itself and even by some of the medications.

Would you like this challenge of  journaling to be easy or hard?

Would you like some help making it easy?

Good! I hear you!


You could start with a simple list like I suggested last time. Now remember, you don't have to do this every day, faithfully, like physical exercise. You could just jot things down now and then, when you think of them. But you must jot down something, sometime in order to provide some clues for your doctor.


Here is a simple approach to journaling. "Here's How to use Bullet Journaling for Better Mental Health". Try not to be discouraged by the length of the article because the result really is a simple approach to journaling.


Some of you will take to journaling. It may become a genuine interest for you. Some of you may discover that you enjoy writing. For others journaling may be like pulling teeth. It's hard. It's not natural. You just don't want to do it.

Just as gardening requires tools, so does journaling.

No matter which group you fall in, I can't emphasize enough, that some basic note making will make a lot of difference in your potential for getting the right diagnosis. Your participation in this is key. This is important. The more accurate your journaling is, the better the likelihood that you and your doctor can come up with a proper diagnosis.

WHAT ABOUT ME? I still keep a 'scribble journal' that I only write in now and then. I always put in a date and have learned over the years, because of my journal, that the fall is usually my worst time of year for depression. When I start a new medication I try to note my reactions, good or bad so I have a record of that.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? If you are willing to try journaling make it personal. Make journaling suit you. You can do it! Even if it is just a list, that is better than nothing. Why not start today? How about answering this question: 'how are you feeling today?' Your answer may be a long descriptive sentence or it may be 'good' or 'bad'. Now answer this question: 'How good or how bad do you feel on a scale of 1-10?' Or how about this question: 'What have you got to look forward to right now?'

There is hope for depression. I am praying for you. Don't give up!






Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?