Music to my Ears: Part One of 'The Power of Music for Depression'



Music therapy for depression was something I experienced before I even knew what it was. Music and me go way back. I grew up in a home where Broadway musicals or big band music echoed through the house. 

We have chatted about 'Singing For Depression' and some of the benefits. Singing is not the only kind of music therapy for depression. Singing is good because we actually DO it and the act of DOING is good exercise for the brain. However, music, in and of itself, has benefits for all of us which mankind has been aware of for some time. And you don't have to do anything, just listen to it! It's free!

The Canadian Association for Music Therapy exists on this premise:

"Music therapy is the skillful use of music and musical elements by an accredited music therapist to promote, maintain, and restore mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health.


Music has nonverbal, creative, structural, and emotional qualities. These are used in the therapeutic relationship to facilitate contact, interaction, self-awareness, learning, self-expression, communication, and personal development."


Wow, that is pretty deep and profound and that is what music is....deep!


That is what music can do, it can reach deep into the parts of us that nothing else can touch. 


It's practically magic and yet there is nothing magic about it.


Go ahead and listen to some music that you personally enjoy. It only works if you choose the music you like. Sit back, relax, close your eyes and let it do its work on you.

WHAT ABOUT ME? Listening to music transports me too. I have some personal favourites. As a young girl I liked Glenn Campbell and Neil Diamond, I still like them. I always loved musicals, some favourites were Camelot, The Sound of Music, The Music Man and Hello Dolly. I could probably sing the entire thing for you! Christian music soothes me as well and some of my favourites are Sandi Patty, Mark Bishop and Chris Tomlin. But honestly, at this stage of my life I have come to enjoy silence more than ever. However, on a bad day I remind myself of the power of music and pick something I like and let it do its magic on my mood.

WHAT ABOUT YOU?  How are you feeling today? Do you have some favourite music that you would like to tell us about? I will tell you about some of my favourites next time. Make a list of your favourites and get started.


There is hope for depression. Don't give up!







Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?