Music Memory Trumps Depression: Part 3 of Music for Depression


Did you know that there is a part of your brain that remembers music even if you can't remember anything else? One of my favourite music memories was in 1964, New York City. I was fourteen years old. My family and I were sitting in a theatre on broadway waiting for 'Funny Girl' to begin. Now this is the original live version with Barbra Streisand. I had already owned the soundtrack album long enough to memorize all of the songs. When the orchestra started up I was filled with anticipation and the experience was magic for me. I cannot hear that same overture without picturing that exciting memory and recalling every detail.

We have been chatting about the therapeutic effects of music for depression.

Last time I was telling you what kind of music I used for a depression getaway where I could lose myself. Today I am going to tell you about the kind of music where I can find myself.

That is what this hymnbook is about. Because I am a christian. Singing hymns reminds me of what I believe. Singing hymns provides music memory. It is easy to forget what you believe in when you are depressed. I have to sing a lot of hymns sometimes to remember. But if I am in a really dark place, singing a hymn or two or three, all by myself, can remind me of what I believe. It can give me a rock to stand on. It strengthens me and ministers to me and reminds me of what is true, to me. Truth is hard to come by with depression. So much of what we think when we are depressed are lies. To me, the words in hymns are truth. The truth helps me.

Read about the 'brain-music connection. "Persons with dementia, Parkinson’s and other diseases that damage brain chemistry also reconnect to the world and gain improved quality of life from listening to personal music favorites." 

Here is another unique way to find yourself through music. There is a revelating documentary all about it on Netflix called "Alive Inside".

"The experiment documented proves the theory that beloved music can improve lives lost to dementia. Now it has to be personal music, music that they knew well and loved when they still had their memory.

But there’s reason to hope for a better life as we age. At MUSIC & MEMORY℠, we help people in nursing homes and other care organizations who suffer from a wide range of cognitive and physical challenges to find renewed meaning and connection in their lives through the gift of personalized music."

"Our approach is simple, elegant and effective: We train care professionals how to set up personalized music playlists, delivered on iiPods and other digital devices, for those in their care. These musical favorites tap deep memories not lost to dementia and can bring participants back to life, enabling them to feel like themselves again, to converse, socialize and stay present."

Music memory - a powerful concept. Would you like to tap into that power right now?

There is so much more we could say about music. The important question for you is this: do you include music, listening to it, singing, playing music, part of your depression getaway plan? 

There are so many wonderful depression getaways. We need reminders, I know I do, to find them and use them. I hope this has been a helpful reminder for you.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Music memory - did you know how powerful it was? Is there some favourite music you haven't listened to for awhile? What are you waiting for?

There is hope for depression.

Don't give up!

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?