Ruined or Relaxed?

Ruined or Relaxed?


Ruined or relaxed? Which one would you use to describe yourself on a bad day?


How do you handle a bad day? For me a bad day is sometimes the result of having been too busy the day before or for several days in a row. I wake up in the morning and I realize that I am having a bad day. I will not be able to be productive that day. I may not even be able to feel happy for much of the day. Is the day ruined?

Yes and no. Depending on my frame of mind, I may consider it ruined. I might think “another wasted day” or “can’t I have any fun in this old life?” If I have to cancel some enjoyable activity I might feel totally hard done by and feel sorry for myself.

Sometimes I handle a bad day well, sometimes I don’t. Even if I do handle it well, it won’t be right from the start. Oh no, not me. First I have to rebel a bit, in my mind anyways, and resist the truth that is before me - that I am not up to doing anything and I will have to take an enforced rest that day. I might even complain about it to my dear husband and even have a cry over my awful life. I need to grieve a bit. But once I am resigned to ‘another bad day’ I am sometimes able to take it in stride, and consider it a gift.


A gift? Yes, a gift! A gift of rest, a gift of removing myself from the mainstream. A gift of time, luxurious time to rest, read, watch TV, or write - a gift of relaxation.


WHAT ABOUT ME?
So instead of thinking that my bad day is ‘ruined’ I now label it a ‘relaxed’ day. By being a 'relaxed day' it becomes a depression getaway. It is a silly notion but it helps me. The truth is, that since I lead a very unproductive life due to this illness, I seldom need a day of relaxation. However, by calling a bad day a relaxed day I feel somewhat blessed instead of cursed by it.

Am I making any sense?

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? How do you handle a bad day? Graciously? Rebelliously? Creatively? Would you like to share it with us? Would it help to call it a 'relaxed day' instead of a 'ruined day'? What have you got to lose by just renaming the day?


Don't give up! I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.





Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?