Sew What?


I have been chatting about doing the things we enjoy as part of our depression getaway therapy. Just about this time last year I decided that I desperately needed something to do, something that I could do even if I wasn't feel well.

I prayed about it and the thought came to me to pull out a quilt I started 13 years ago and finish it, which I did! Here it is! Not the best picture (remember I am a sewer not a photographer) but what a great accomplishment it was, finishing something I had started so long ago.

As I worked on this wall hanging I remembered how much I loved sewing and decided to do some more.

So I began gathering fabric from thrift shops. The value I get from the process of designing and sewing them is greater than the thrill of the finished product. I give most of them away, to family members or to the women's shelter.

Finding some cheap used stuff has been such fun. I found a thrift shop that lets you fill a whole garbage bag full for only $4!
Getting home with my finds, washing them and cutting them up, that was fun too. And then deciding on what kind of quilt to create with my little treasures was where the artist in me kicked in.

Adjusting to this chronic mental illness called Bipolar Disorder has  forced me to become less active than I used to be. BUT, finding an old love, sewing, finding new ways to make it creative and meaningful by using second hand material and creating quilts to give away has brought some meaning to my sometimes long lonely days.

And I can sew when I don't feel well!

Having something to do is wonderful. When I sew, I  forget my illness for awhile. Wow, that is the medicine for me and a great depression getaway!

Just thought I would share this happy happenstance with you. Maybe it will inspire you to turn back to an old hobby, an old passion, to help you in the journey!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What kind of day are you having today? How are you feeling? Do you do things you enjoy? Do you have a hobby? Do you need one?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?