Shopping With My Dad


It's a good day to remember something happy for a depression getaway. Good memories are healing. Interesting that when I googled for a picture of a 'little girl shopping with her dad' there were few choices. I guess girls and dads don't typically shop together.Unknown Object

Not so in my family. My dad liked shopping. My mom didn't. I liked doing just about anything with my dad and so if he was going shopping, so was I!

And what was so special about that? I just liked being with my dad, that was special. He seemed to take such an interest in almost anything. He found the world a fascinating place and he often shared his enthusiasm which was very catching. Each apple, each loaf of bread, each steak was chosen with care and interest and I was included in decisions as if I had an opinion that really mattered.

Even getting to the check-out was a treat. Dad always made conversation with the cashiers. He would let me help him unload the cart. I loved watching the cashiers fingers fly over those keys!


Did I get candy? I don't think so. I don't really remember that part of it. I'll just bet you thought that getting candy might be the highlight of shopping with my dad? Nope! Just being with him was the highlight.

He was a busy man with a responsible job and sometimes had to travel for his work. So he was the special parent, the novelty parent. But when he was home, he was really home and we kids had full access to him.

I distinctly remember when he would arrive home from work he would immediately change out of his 'work clothes'. I would follow him into his bedroom and talk to him the whole time he was changing. 

Mom never said 'don't bother your dad, he has had a long day'

Dad never said 'could you just let me change and read the paper'. Nope, he was all mine once he got home.

At least that is how I remember it. What a lovely memory. The prisons would be less full and the psychiatric wards of the hospitals less busy if there were more dads like mine.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have good memories about a good dad? If not, what DO you have good memories about? Remembering good times is a great depression getaway. Go ahead. There must be something good way back when?



Don't give up! There is hope for depression.

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?