Singing Releases Endorphins: Part Two of 'Singing for Depression'

Singing Releases Endorphins


Singing for depression? Do 'singing' and 'depression' seem likely partners?


What does this bricklayer have to do with singing for depression? Nothing really but it brings back a pleasant music memory for me. One time I had a bricklayer in my house laying some bricks for our fireplace. He sang all day and he was good too! It ministered to me. It is a vivid memory that I have not forgotten.

Now I am not suggesting you lay bricks for depression but I am suggesting you try singing as a coping strategy.

Wendy Moore writes a wonderful article about the therapeutic benefits of singing. In it she quotes Dr. Larry Culliford.


"Dr Larry Culliford, a consultant psychiatrist in Brighton, who introduced Slade's work to the college, is a firm supporter. He believes singing works on two levels:


1. by physically encouraging people to breathe and use their whole body better, and


2. emotionally helping them find creative resources.


'There are hidden reserves of strength and hope, and indeed happiness, that singing somehow spontaneously helps people to find. It may be this is one of the ways in which mind and body are interrelated.' says Dr Culliford."


Here is another interesting quote on singing therapy from an article in a blog called 'Women's Consortium' which is no longer online.


"Doctors believe that singing is valuable aerobic exercise, encouraging better posture and deeper breathing. It is also thought that singing releases endorphins in the body, which relieve pain and reduce stress. Using singing as a therapy for relaxation, overcoming depression and anxiety, and even treating clinically serious mental-health problems, is a growing movement."

WHAT ABOUT ME? I enjoy singing in church. With the instrumental background and everyone else singing along, I can sing loud and clear without feeling like my voice (which isn't that great) does not stand out. As soon as I start singing I feel better than before I started singing.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have an opportunity to sing with others? What about putting on your favourite CD and sing along? What have you got to lose? Sing for depression! Try it today!


Don't give up! I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?