Tech Therapy


I remember when computers entered my world in 1987. I was a mother of girls, nine and eleven, and a full time teacher of eleven and twelve year olds at a small private christian school. Despite the small budget we were discussing the possibility of getting a computer for each classroom.

I was technically ignorant then and could not imagine the advantages of that.


First of all I presumed the computer was a lonely activity and so wondered how we could share one computer with 30 children.

Secondly, I was not at all for putting young minds in front of a screen. While I raised my own girls we lived without a TV for about seven years. They found other things to do and those 'other things' I valued more than TV.

However, the computer arrived, I took a few brief lessons myself, and I could not believe the benefit it was to our little classroom.Unknown Object

My first surprise was that is was not a lonely activity. The children would fit as many around that little screen as they could. They would all get involved in the activity chosen by the user.

My second surprise was how much they learned and how fast.

My third surprise was how much the children who were normally poor students, were able to engage fully in some of the activities provided. It kind of leveled out the playing field.

Clearly no one could have predicted the impact of those first personal computers. And now it is a long time away from 1987 and again, no one could have predicted the impact technology has had on all of our lives.

There has been some interesting discussion online about technology and mental illness.

There is a wonderful article on the Found Health website about phone apps which are good for your brain. New apps offered go from meditation and yoga to breathing exercises, journaling programs and nature sounds, all designed to relieve stress. Pretty neat stuff.

Could there really be a phone smart enough to help with depression? Read 'A Phone Smart Enough to Treat Depression' from The Chronicle of Higher Education and find out.

Or how about a computer program that could predict psychiatric problems in at risk youth?

The world of technology as we know it is beyond anything most of us could have ever imagined. I for one never thought it could be such a boost to depression. How do I see it that way?

Depression is a lonely illness. We are lonely because most of us don't like seeing people when we are depressed. Whether the loneliness comes before the illness or after doesn't change the fact that depression is a lonely illness. I guess most illnesses are lonely though aren't they?

Anyways, my theory about the benefits of technology and depression is it can make us a little, no, a lot less lonely. Even if we cannot feel connected to the outside world, we can actually be connected, technically speaking.

We can keep in touch with friends without the arduous task of a face to face visit. We can stay informed without the effort of depending on others for our news. We can create blogs like this one and feel that even though we are not out there in the world contributing in other ways, in our own little way we can make a difference. For that reason alone, technology is one of the best things to happen to my depression.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Does technology make a positive difference to you?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?