The Secret to Positive Thinking

Did you know there was a SECRET to positive thinking? Just ONE secret?

It is easy for the fellow in this picture (Gene Kelly in 'Singin in the Rain') to be positive. He just met the girl of his dreams. He is not dealing with depression right now. And even though it is raining he is singing!

Not so easy to do when you are depressed. Actually it is impossible.

When I am depressed I hate hearing about better ways to live, better ways to think, etc. It is all I can do to get out of bed and maybe have a bath and get dressed. But to try some complicated new theory, no way! I would be just setting myself up for more failure and heaping more depression on top of the one I am already deep into.

If you are really depressed right now, then maybe this is not the time for you. Or maybe it is the perfect time! What have you got to lose?

And so, I would like to take the overwhelm out of the idea of trying positive thinking. Dr. Dave over at 'Zero Tolerance to Negative Thinking' has the secret.

And the secret is just what he says - "zero tolerance to negative thinking!" Doesn't that sound easy enough?

All you have to do is

1. Decide not to tolerate negative thoughts.
2. Cancel out each negative thought with a positive one.

Really it is a lot like cognitive therapy, like talking back to your negative thoughts.

Now I realize that this is not a quick fix for depression. I know too well that getting out of a depressive episode is not as easy as 'pulling yourself up by your boot strings'. That is impossible.

But it is a good thing to learn about positive thinking so that you can use it when you are able to.

At first this might be a bit of a stretch, but if you stick it out, it may become automatic. And if it helps, then it is worth it right?

Here is an example:

NEGATIVE THOUGHT: I can't do anything right.

POSITIVE THOUGHT: Yes I can, I am reading this blog right now and I am doing it right!

Simple enough? If your mind says 'up' you say 'down', if your mind says 'stupid' you say 'smart'. Make a game out of it. Who knows, just trying to keep up with those thoughts could be the best depression getaway for you this year!

So does this mean that I am NOT going to preach to you all about POSITIVE THINKING and explain how to do it in a thousand words or less? That's right, I'm not. There are others who can do that for you if you really want to get into it.

I simply want you to add positive thinking to your depression tool kit. Use it right now, today, or just store it there for another day. 

Positive thinking - a great depression getaway from negative thinking.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Does the idea of positive thinking seem impossible to you right now? Or are you glad for the reminder?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.💗



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?