Truth or Consequences


There was a game show in the 1960's called 'Truth or Consequences'.

Based on the parlor games "Forfeits" and "Fine or Superfine," the show was a combination trivia game and stunt show. Contestants were asked silly questions and had to answer correctly before "Beulah the Buzzer" sounded. If they failed to give the "Truth," they had to face the "Consequences"-- usually a funny and embarrassing stunt. Often contestants were reunited with long-lost family or friends on the air. 

The same thing happens to me with depression. If I don't tell myself the truth there will be consequences. If I believe the lies in my head the consequence will be depression.

I cannot afford to live with the lies. It is truth or consequences for me and for all of us who are challenged by depression.

Here is an example of a lie I hear in my head: "you are such a loser".

That is not true. I am not a loser. Sure, I feel like a loser. I can't work. I can't do a lot of things without suffering fatigue and then depression. But I am not a loser. I get up every morning, wash myself, get dressed, tidy my house, get outside for some fresh air and exercise and occasionally I am even good company for my husband. My kids (even my step kids) are all still talking to me, hey, they even love me! That is not the description of a loser.

Those are the kinds of truths I tell myself when the lies try to take over.

What kind of truths can you tell yourself, right this minute? We have to fight the lies with the truth. It is not easy, but if we don't, the lies will take over and we will get even more depressed.


Are you doing your part? Go on, tell yourself some truths. Drown out those lies!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you need to talk back to those lies? Could you use some truth serum right now? Be kind, tell yourself some good true stuff.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?