'Twice in a Lifetime' - Would you like a Do Over?


'Twice in a Lifetime'  was a TV show all about do overs. Would you like a do over? If so, what life situation would you want to do over? For me divorce might be the biggest do over I would choose.

Did you ever see the TV show 'Twice in a Lifetime'? Just so happens it was a Canadian show, in case you didn't know. You might find it on Netflix.

Anyways, I used to love watching it. Each week someone in the show would get a do over in their life. They could go back and fix the one thing that they are sure would have changed their entire lives for the better.

The idea behind 'twice in a lifetime' infers that you get to do one thing not once, but twice. You get to do it over differently the second time. It's fun to imagine how things might have been different if you could go back and change something. What would you change?

Have you imagined that there is some event in your life that caused or contributed to your depression.

Do you think that right now there is some situation in your life that is hindering your ability to get better?

'Twice in a lifetime' seldom happens for any of us. We can't change the past. But we can change some of the ways we handle things today.

What would you change about your journey through depression? (besides getting rid of it altogether!) I mean, would you have made any different choices, would you react differently, would you try more doctors, or stay away from doctors altogether? Would you take more or less medication? Would you talk about it more or talk about it less? Would you ask for more help?

Now, the people in 'Twice in a Lifetime' were able to go back in time to their old lives, not as themselves, but as someone who tries to tell their former, younger self what to do. The thing about these stories however, is that the very thing that the person thought they wanted to go back and change, the very thing that they thought was to blame for all of their problems, wasn't the important thing at all - interesting. Of course it is impossible to go back, but what a luxury to take what you know now and apply it to yourself many years ago.

How about you and your depression journey? What would you change if you could? If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten the right diagnosis earlier, but hey, I only knew what I knew so I guess I wouldn't change anything. I think I have tried as hard as I can to find answers and get help. That's one of the reasons I write this blog, so I can share some of the things I have learned along the way with others.

Or maybe you would change the one thing in your life that you are sure started your depression in the first place? Yup, we sure could dwell on those things if we wanted to. But we can't change that and so we must work on things as they are now and see what we can do to make it more manageable, less debilitating.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Did you think of a do over when I talked about 'Twice in a Lifetime'?

There is hope for depression.

Don't give up!




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?