ADD's Secret Weapon is Right at Your Fingertips!

I am doing a series on ADD, using my husband as my lab rat (I couldn't resist that!) Seriously though, ADD is common, it is real, it is frustrating for the person who has it and the people who live with them. So here is my attempt to bring some enlightenment from my own experiences.

As I share some stories about the behavior of my ADD husband, I am reminded of one of the first times we went to a movie together. We held hands through the entire movie, and when we came out, my husband said that he thinks it was the first time he was able to follow a story without being distracted.

His kids hated watching a TV show with him, because he would miss certain things and then interrupt the story by asking them questions, and then they would miss things and then everyone would be frustrated.

So why would holding hands make any difference? I discovered when we went out to a theatre to watch a movie and hold his hand he could concentrate on the plot better. Why would that be? You may think that because in a theater, it is dark and there are less distractions. But no that is not the answer.

The answer is in the hand holding. One of the best ways to stop the distraction and get the attention of the ADD person is through touch. It is like grounding an electrical charge. Human touch helps them to zone in.

If you want to tell them something important, take their hand first, (or rub their head or back) make sure you have their attention, and then tell them. This works for school teachers as well. However, these days it might be difficult to touch a student without being sued, but for kindergarten teachers it would probably work.

This is not only a good idea for communicating with an ADD person, it would probably enhance communication with just about anybody! And that is the benefit of learning about one thing, you can probably apply what you learn to a whole bunch of other things!

We are not finished with ADD yet. I have barely begun! How about you, do you have any ADD people in your life? Maybe YOU are ADD? 

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What kind of day are you having? Does touch make a difference to you? Do you have any secret weapons for getting someone's attention?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?