Cat in the Bucket


Today I am counteracting my depressed thoughts by remembering my 'cat in a bucket' story. It wasn't as cute or as alive as this cat though.

It was a beautiful fall day. My girls and my husband and I were walking over to our neighbours to enjoy a nice evening. Our cats followed us over which they often did.

This time however there was reason for concern. There was a stray dog in the area. These neighbours were keeping it in hopes of finding out who it belonged to. We didn't know this dog. My girls didn't trust it and were worried about the cats being safe around the dog.

As I often did, and not always rightly so, I downplayed it. "Don't worry about the cats. They usually have the upper hand over a dog, they're faster and they can scratch. It is more likely the dog you have to worry about."

We went inside and enjoyed supper with our favourite neighbours. We heard some noises outside and the girls ran out to see what was happening and one of our cats was up a tree, the other lying dead on the ground. The dog was barking at the yet alive cat.


Boy was I wrong! Don't think the girls ever trusted me with the safety of their cats ever again! We took that dead cat home in a bucket and buried it next to our other casualties.

It's funny now but not that night. Well at least it was not funny to our girls. My husband and I on the other hand never got attached to the cats. They were outdoor cats, barn cats and they came and went.

It was hard to keep a straight face that evening as we walked home carrying that cat in a bucket, but for the sake of our girls, we pretended that we too were saddened by the loss of yet another cat!

There, that was a nice depression getaway for me. Hope it was a getaway for you too!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Got any funny animal stories from your family?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?