Gaining New Perspective: Part One


Isn't that an amazing photo? Do you think if you were the one right there on that mountaintop, taking in that view, that you would be able to gain some new perspective on your life?

A recent article by one of my favourite depression writers John Folk-Williams titled 'Changing Core Beliefs about Depression' got me thinking about the way I am thinking. You may want to read it yourself along with other great stuff on his blog 'Storied Mind' and see if it tweaks some new thinking for you too.

He talks about the core beliefs of his own depression story like this: "The core beliefs of my depression story are bleak: things don’t work out, I stumble and fail, I don’t have much energy or motivation, I’m no good at getting along with people, in groups I’m invisible, and on it goes."

His description made me think of my own story of depression, beginning in 1995 and I wondered just how my thinking about my depression had changed over the years. My perspective has changed a lot and if it hadn't changed frequently, I would be in worse shape than I am now. 

Changing my perspective, or gaining new perspective along the way has been essential to surviving this illness and to reviving myself after yet another down spell.

Let me explain. Because depression is an illness which affects our thoughts, and thoughts in turn affect our illness, then our only hope to surviving and moving on is to change our thoughts...somehow. Not so easy for anyone to change the way they think, especially someone who is challenged by depression, an illness of the thoughts. Not easy, but not impossible either!

How has my perspective changed? 

Phrases such as 'I am a complete failure' have been replaced by 'I am not a complete failure. I got up today. I had a bath, washed my hair, put on my make-up and got dressed. I am a success!'

I have replaced the phrase 'I am always depressed, I am never going to get better' to 'I am not always depressed. I have had some good days and I will have some good days again.' In other words, I talk to myself!

Do you get the idea? Somehow along the way, I manage to gain some new perspective, some new way of looking at my old problem. Would you like some new perspective this week?

Well, you have come to the right place! I am going to share some ideas that have help me gain new perspective.

The first and most my important step in gaining new perspective is to resolve to gain some new perspective. So there! Do you choose to do this?

Are you resolved to gain some new perspective? Are you prepared to re-solve,  solve all over again or solve with a new idea, some of your depression challenges? What have you got to lose? Stick with me, maybe we can come up with something.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Would you like some new perspective on your old illness? 

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.





Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?