Memories and Depression: Part Three



Memories and depression - it is not only what we recall but how we choose to recall it that can affect our depression, in a good way or a bad way. 

Recent research has suggested that depressive biases in personal memory may be due to an inability to progress beyond a general level when trying to retrieve specific positive memories. 

This study produced further evidence of this phenomenon. When trying to access specific hedonically toned memories, depressed patients more often responded with a general memory and, especially for positive cues, were unable then to progress to a specific memory, even after prompting.

 The implications for cognitive therapy for depression are discussed.

This 'inability to progress beyond a general level when trying to retrieve positive memories' interests me. 

This summer I practised retrieving good memories as a writing exercise I was trying out for depression therapy. I kind of enjoyed it. But now that I think of it, I could have tried to recall some of those experiences in way more detail than I did.

I think I may be one of those people who over generalize. And since these 'experts' are claiming that there is a link between that and depression, do you think I should try to work on that?

That is one of the things I do not like about all these reports I read. Sure, they come up with some interesting theories, that make a lot of sense, but they forget the 'next step'. In other words, what should we do about it?

So I am going to find some 'next steps' for all of us. Next time we will talk about some solutions to this tendency we depressed folks seem to have of over-generalizing.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you understand what I mean by 'over-generalizing'? If you'd like to learn more, stick with me. I am sure you will find this a great depression getaway.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?