Thankfulness + Mindfulness = Dynamic Duo for Depression: Part One


As a kid I can remember spending a lot of time waiting for my dad to come home from work. His homecoming was often the highlight of my day. If happened to be raining while I watched for him through our front window it was a special treat. I would watch the water drops fall down the window pane. Sometimes I would pick two water drops and imagine they were racing and watch expectantly to see which one would finish first!

 I was really MINDFUL of those raindrops. That is something that children do better than adults, they are mindful. Let me explain.


Last week I gave you my own '99 Reasons to be Thankful'.

The week before I talked about the gift of thanksgiving and its power over depression.

Now I would like to add a discussion about 'mindfulness' to this theme.


What is mindfulness?

One of the easiest to understand descriptions of mindfulness came from this Psychology Today website: "Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience."

If you need a little more in depth explanationhere is another explanation for mindfulness: "We need to live more in the moment. Living in the moment—also called mindfulness—is a state of active, open, intentional attention on the present. When you become mindful, you realize that you are not your thoughts; you become an observer of your thoughts from moment to moment without judging them. Mindfulness involves being with your thoughts as they are, neither grasping at them nor pushing them away. Instead of letting your life go by without living it, you awaken to experience."

If you want an even simpler explanation then 'living in the moment' may be enough information for you right now. I know that lack of concentration, or being overwhelmed by too much information is a challenge when you are depressed so maybe just 'living in the moment' is enough for you to dwell on for now.

Next I am going to show you how combining thankfulness with mindfulness can be a dynamic duo for a great depression getaway. Stay with me and I will further explain this relationship and how it can benefit you tomorrow.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Would you like to explore 'mindfulness' with me or is it all too much? What if it were easy, what then? 

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?