The Healing Power of Creativity: Part Two


Look at my latest project! Isn't it pretty? Actually, the picture doesn't do it justice, it is so much brighter than this! I am going to give it away, probably to a women's shelter, like my last projects.

Even more important than how pretty it is and where it is going to is how much fun I had doing it. I've discovered I can sew even when I am not feelingwell. I have learned that while I do something with my hands, my thoughts change and I am unable to dwell on negative thoughts while my hands are busy.

This post could also be titled: "SEWING SAVES MY LIFE". Am I suggesting that a needle could sew my life back together? Not at all. But the sewing activity helps.

Last time I shared a book review with you called "Crochet Saved My Life"

Today I am sharing my own experience but I have changed the word 'saved' to 'saves' because it only works when I do it and I have to keep doing it! 

I've loved sewing ever since my first sewing lessons when I was a kid. Did I tell you about that? I was ten, my sister was thirteen and the other girls in the class were young women. The first thing we had to do before we chose our pattern was take our measurements.

Most of the girls were 34-24-34 or something like that. As the youngest in the class I was 29-29-29, a little embarrassing! But I loved the classes and I learned to love sewing.

As a teenager I made a lot of my own clothes, plus some curtains and a bedspread for my room. As a young woman I created more clothes, and as a mother, more clothes for my kids. Add to that covered cushions, curtains and Halloween costumes. I even made my own bride's dress and my girlfriend's in the 70's. And in the past years made the bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses for both of my daughters, saving them a pile of money. I enjoyed it all.


Now I make blankets and quilts out of used clothing and linens. Half the fun is finding the material, washing it, cutting it all the while imagining what pretty things I might make.There's no pressure. I don't have to do it. I am not trying to please anyone else. I don't even have to finish it if I don't want. It is the activity, not the end result that is the most therapeutic to me. 

The next fun is choosing which colours to combine for my next project. The design ideas are the more challenging part and that can take some time, but it is fun too. Sometimes I draw out the whole thing on my sketch pad and color it with colored pencils to get the idea. 

Next I cut and assemble pieces. When the top is done I choose a backing, put some filler in between and join it together. Sometimes I just make a cozy blanket and tie it together, other times I like to quilt the whole thing by hand. I find hand sewing relaxing.

Deciding what to do with creation is easy. If a family member will admire it and want it, well that's great. Other times I send it along to the women's shelter and imagine that my colors and designs and the coziness of the blanket will minister to the broken spirit of some woman or perhaps a hurting child.

Why do I tell you all of this? Because doing it all helps me! The entire time I am doing this stuff I am NOT concentrating on my depression and on how depressing it is! Sewing saves my life every day that I sew.

There were years that I did not sew. Painting took up my time as I painted for a living. When I retired I quit painting for awhile. And then one day decided to take up sewing. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it.

Yes I am artistic. Yes I am a naturally creative person (it's in my DNA) but still, you don't have to be good at these things for them to be therapeutic. 

Your job is to find something that you enjoy. Even if it is simply colouring, the same benefit is there.

Creative therapy is a great depression getaway!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Are you convinced that you could benefit from a creative outlet? What comes to mind that you might try?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?