The Twelve Days of Christmas: Biblical Meaning


Using the song 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' as my theme, I have spent the last twelve posts sharing some of my own Christmas stories. I hope you enjoyed them.

But during the process I learned that the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" actually has some biblical symbolism. Did you know that?

I got my information from a music site, you might want to check it out. Here is what I learned.


1. True  Love refers to God
2. Turtle Doves refers to the Old and New Testaments
3. French Hens refers to Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues
4. Calling Birds refers to the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
5. Golden Rings refers to the first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace.
6. Geese A-laying refers to the six days of creation
7. Swans A-swimming refers to the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
8. Maids A-milking refers to the eight beatitudes
9. Ladies Dancing refers to the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10.  Lords A-leaping refers to the ten commandments
11. Pipers Piping refers to the eleven faithful apostles
12. Drummers Drumming refers to the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed

May you not only survive Christmas this year, may you also enjoy it.

I am praying for all of my readers out there, right now.

And may you come to know the baby Jesus of Christmas as your own personal Savior all year round!


Merry Christmas!

Wendy Love

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?