The Twelve Days of Christmas: Day Eleven

I wonder what the 'eleven pipers piping' were playing for 'The Twelve Days of Christmas'?

Only two more stories to share for my' twelve days of Christmas'. This one has snow in it. What would a Canadian Christmas story be without snow?! Pregnant, a book and a snowstorm.

It was 1975, Christmas day and my husband and I were traveling from his mother's house just outside of Ottawa, to my folks house in Toronto. I was excitedly expecting our first child due in June. I had a book with me called 'Birth Stories' put out by the 'Lamaze' people. You have to have lived in the seventies and eighties to remember Lamaze.

The Lamaze method was a specialized way of preparing for natural childbirth. I was into everything natural in those days and was gung ho, in the way that only a young person can be gung ho (where does that expression come from anyways?) I had with me a book about the birth stories of people who had used the Lamaze method during labour and delivery.

As soon as we left on our five hour drive, we realized that we were in the middle of a snowstorm. The radio informed us that the storm was province-wide and so we settled in for a long day. I am usually a nervous passenger in bad weather and so it was a blessing that I had this book to distract me and keep my eyes off of the road, which you could hardly see....

I read each story out loud so my husband and I could share it. They were all wonderful accounts with the ending being the happiest of all.... a healthy bouncing baby! I cried at the birth of each baby and I even think I saw my husband shed a tear or two.


The five hour drive turned into seven hours, but you know what? The trip for me flew by since I was so absorbed in my book. As I finished reading the last of the stories, we were pulling into my parents' driveway. God not only took care of me during that storm, he even blessed me while he did it. God is like that....

Reading birth stories at Christmas seems rather appropriate doesn't it? 

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have some memories of travelling at Christmas? Good or bad? 

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?