The Twelve Days of Christmas: Day Ten


One would think by reading my stories that I had these amazing Christmases. And you know, that is the fun part about reminiscing about things years later. The good things are memorable, that not so good things are not. If we keep retelling the good stories, they will get gooder and gooder and stronger in our memories.

Why would I get an empty paint can for Christmas? That's right! An empty paint can!


One year when I was feeling particularly low, and feeling as though I could not do much of anything extra around the house, let alone get the necessary things done... my daughters surprised me at Christmas with the most wonderful gift!

When I opened my present there was an empty paint can with a paint stick attached and a very official label stuck on the front that said 'ROOM IN A CAN'. When I read the note attached it said, "go to the TV and turn it on". 

Waiting for me there was a DVD, which started with one of my daughters standing next to the town sign on the highway near here, and saying that she is part of the "Room in a Can" team who is heading to the house of Wendy Love and surprising her with a newly decorated bedroom. 

Then she introduced her team and showed each of them up in my bedroom, doing various things.... She referred to my 6'5" son-in-law as the 'human stepladder' as he touched the ceiling with a paint roller. 

She referred to my talented carpenter son-in-law as their 'in house craftsman' and showed him pretending to hammer something. She referred to her sister as her 'decorating consultant' and showed her looking as though she was assessing the curtains. 

Then the four of them stood together, looked into the camera and said that they would come after Christmas, and in one day, give my bedroom a fresh coat of paint.

Wow! What a perfect gift! And what a wonderfully creative way to present it to me....not only would I get my bedroom freshly painted, I would get the company of my kids for a whole day! I keep that can in my bedroom as a reminder of my wonderful kids and their generosity towards this old mom. They gave me the gift of their time for a present.

Those two daughters have kids of their own now and can't possibly share that kind of time or energy with their old mom. But what a wonderful memory they created that day for all of us!

Tomorrow I will go back in time to a Christmas when I was pregnant with my first child, driving from my home just outside Ottawa, to my parents' house in Toronto....in a snowstorm!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Has anyone ever given you the gift of their time and talent? Would it be possible for you to give the gift of your time and talent (despite depression?)

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?