'These Boots Were Made for Walkin': Part Three (Exercise is Better than Medicine)


So, what kinds of boots are you going to need in order to EXERCISE FOR DEPRESSION? Or maybe you won't need boots, just walking shoes, or a bathing suit?

Are you convinced yet that exercise would be a good addition to your recovery and maintenance strategies?

My own exercise of choice is walking. Even when I am feeling edgy and/or depressed when I start my walk, I can notice my mood slowly change about half way into the walk. Some walks are better than others. But all walks are good.

 I couldn't handle my life at all without my walks. I walk alone. That works best for me. My brain seems to go to good places when I walk. I love my walks. I couldn't give it up.
Now I prefer to walk alone. I prefer to do a lot of things alone. That suits me but it may not suit you. Here is an interesting list of suggested exercises encouraging the benefits of doing things with a group:



A fellow blogger has taken this exercise business to the next level. Her name is Etta and she calls her blog "Depression Marathon". What a perfect name for this blog, since she really is a marathon runner. We can all identify with the idea of depression being like a marathon, a really long race, one which we often feel we cannot finish. I do hope you will check out her blog. She keeps a personal diary of her depression ups and downs but in the most positive way.

This blog is an account of her running and how it affects her moods and how her moods affect her running. The running is an integral part of her strategies for managing depression. Maybe you will be encouraged to try it yourself.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you doing today? Are you convinced yet that exercise might be a good addition to your depression toolkit? I do hope and pray that by discussing exercise and depression once again, you will be inspired and encouraged to get moving for your own depression.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.







Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?