4 Tips for Living with Someone who has ADD


This is the last part of a series I have been writing about ADD. If you know someone who might be ADD, you may want to share this series of posts with them. This one is the most important posts of all so please read on!

As much as there are definitely similarities among people who have ADD, it is also, like any mental disorder, very individual. I hope my stories have created a revealing picture which you may identify with if you know someone who has ADD. It may even be you!
Unknown Object
The stories I have shared from my own experience are just anecdotes about my life with my ADD husband. And yet, are not our personal stories powerful things? Doesn't a simple true story about someone's life speak more to each one of us than a pile of essays? Is it not the stories of our lives that have power to reach out to one another with long arms of love and compassion. Is it not someone else's story that has said to you 'hey, if they can live with this then so can I?'

ADD is a big topic. There is a pile of research you can do which I would highly recommend. And that is the first thing I would suggest to anyone who suspects that they, or someone dear to them, might be ADD.

Here are THREE GREAT RESOURCES about ADD:

1. One book about adult ADD called "You Mean I'm Not Lazy Crazy or Stupid" Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo.

2. Another great resource is on the internet and is called ADDitude Magazine. It covers a pile of stuff including tips for children with ADD. I can't say enough about this website. It covers so much. It is the best and only resource you may need.

3. Oh and I cannot forget one of the funniest resources you should check out. It is written by two guys from one of my favourite TV Shows, The Red Green Show. They have made a video called 'ADD and Loving It' which is the most delightful and informative thing I have ever seen! One of my favourite lines from that DVD is "recognized, acknowledged and accepted, ADD can become an ally". We could probably say that about many of our 'problems'.

Any mental disorder makes life challenging. But it can become dangerously challenging if you ignore it and forge ahead without knowledge or help. But it can become manageable and even friendly if you

1. embrace it,
2. learn about it,
3. forgive yourself and
4. move forward with your life.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Could you apply some of these ADD strategies to depression?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?