Are You Getting Enough? Self Expression that is....


Have you seen this wonderful ad on TV called 'Express Yourself'?

I remember one of the questions I was asked by my doctor when I was in a deep dark pit of depression. She asked 'what would you like to see happen?' or in other words 'what would you like to change?'

On that particularly dark day I couldn't even come up with an answer. I thought 'what was the use of even imagining how things could be better, it's never going to happen anyways.'

Have you ever felt like that?


But you know what? If I could have broken out of my darkness for a moment or two and really jumped into a fun description, I might have said this:

"Okay, in a perfect world I would weigh less, look better, be happy all the time, have a husband that does what I want without me asking, never be tired, always be happy, always have enough money. I would live in a nice condo in the city where everything is handy and where I have no maintenance things to do to my house. I would have a clean basement where there is not a lot of 'stuff' that we never use. I would enjoy being with people and not tire of socializing. I could eat sweets without a terrible sugar hangover. I could travel and enjoy the constant stimulation and enjoy being away from home. I would never be sick and always be happy. I would get answers to all of my prayers."

Why would this little rant be a good thing? Because self-expression is a good thing. It makes us healthy, it keeps us healthy. Apparently we all need some sort of self-expression. The benefits are many and we are going to chat more about that.

My point is this: the reason a doctor or therapist might ask you what you would like to see happen is to get you to EXPRESS YOURSELF!

EXPRESSING YOURSELF is good for your mental health. That is what we are going to chat about for the next while. Of course there is more to expressing yourself than just talking. Talking is just one way to do it.

If you are not yet convinced, then come back tomorrow and I will share four benefits of self-expression.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? If a therapist asked you right now "how would you like to see your life change?", what would you say?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?