Create Your Own Happy Endings Through Self-Expression


I love to draw floor plans. For me, drawing floor plans for houses is like doodling. One time my husband came home with a huge box of graph paper as a gift because he could see how much pleasure I get from this little hobby I have had since I was a teenager.

The interesting thing is that I don't design big fancy houses. They are all fairly practical. But each one solves a little problem here or there. And I imagine how much better one design is compared to another. When I feel overwhelmed with my house, I design a smaller one and I imagine how much easier life would be if I had a smaller house. It is kind of my way of dreaming, my way of expressing myself and my way of having control over something, even if it is only in my imagination.Unknown Object
Sometimes I even design the same house over and over.... (I wonder what a psychiatrist would say about that?) I don't even keep these plans, the pleasure is in the designing, not the keeping.

The point is, that designing houses is one of the ways that I express myself.

Like many of you I enjoyed watching some Christmas movies on TV during December.

I love two things about these movies:

1. they are usually pretty with all of the Christmas decorations (Hollywood style)

2. they all have happy endings.

Who doesn't love a happy ending?

What would your happy ending look like? I know what mine would look like, well, sort of.... and it involves all of the people I love. I am glad however, that I am not the one in charge of figuring out just what each of those people's lives should look like! What a responsibility that would be!

And what does 'happy endings' have to do with my house designs? Well, when I design houses, I am in complete control of how they come out! In my designs I 'design' my own 'happy ending'. In life I am not in control of how things turn out, but if I was, life would have a happy ending.

Are happy endings pure fantasy? I would say yes and no. Certainly we need to face reality but a little dreaming can go a long way. I believe dreams are important. 

Any good counselor will ask you what you would like to see happening in your life if you could have things your way. It is a good question. I challenge you to think about that question today, and then tell God all about it (he already knows anyways!) and give it to him and ask him to bring to pass the good parts of that dream. Maybe he was the one who gave you the dream!

Don't ever stop dreaming. A little bit of dreaming can go a long way. That is how great things happen, both big and small. Dream on! Dreaming is a great way of expressing yourself!'?

Did you ever think of daydreaming as a form of self-expression?

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have a secret 'happy ending dream? I'll bet you are not depressed in that dream!

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?