Depression's Secret Weapon: Part Two


The secret's out! Laughter is depression's secret weapon which you have already discovered if you my previous post.

You may as well get started benefiting from this wonderful free weapon. Go ahead and laugh! If you need a little assistance, maybe you would like to look at a couple of silly YouTube sites and see if you can resist laughing. Try 'babies laughing' for starters.

Bill Cosby said: "Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it." Do you agree with Bill Cosby?

(Despite the recent demise of Bill Cosby's reputation, he was one of the best comedians of my day, wholesome, funny, family humour.)

If I need a laugh, I will listen to this favourite of mine by Bill Cosby "To Russell, My Brother, Whom I Slept With". If I listen to it with my sister, who I slept with growing up, I will laugh twice as hard!

Comedians are not the only ones who understand the power of laughter. What about Patch Adams? Many of you probably saw the movie of the same name. There is much more to this doctor besides his clowning around with the patients. He is a believer in healing the body using non-traditional methods, laughter being just one.

Another man who has made it his passion to discover how the body can overcome the odds of serious illness is Norman Cousins. This writer, when faced with a debilitating illness decided to challenge that illness with laughter. He writes an account of it in his book "Anatomy of an Illness". His success story is worth investigating.

These are just a few famous people whose life's work is based on the principal that laughter is good for people.

If they are right, and I certainly believe they are, then it is good for ALL people. Are you with me? And if it is good for ALL people then it is good for depressed people too!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? I dare you to laugh. Take the laughter challenge. Use laughter as your depression getaway. Even a moment's getaway is better than none at all.

And laughter does not just have momentary benefits, it has lasting benefits as well. We will chat about that some more next time.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?