Exercise for Self-Expression


I went to see my five year old granddaughter have her swimming lesson at the Y recently. She loves it! She can't wipe the smile off of her face. If you have children, you have seen that SWIM GRIN!

I saw all sorts of other people, all shapes and sizes and ages, expressing themselves through exercise at the Y. It is such a positive, almost calming experience to be able to move those body parts that work. It is a gift, not a chore.


Self-expression is good for depression and exercise is a form of self-expression.
 You don't have to be GOOD at some athletic activity to exercise. Ordinary stuff like walking, bowling, swimming etc. are quite adequate.


The reason self-expression is so good for depression is that it makes you feel less like a victim and more like a victor.

I am sure you already know the benefits of exercise but let me remind you:

Exercise helps prevent and improve a number of health problems, including high blood pressure, diabetes and arthritis. Research on anxiety, depression and exercise shows that the psychological and physical benefits of exercise can also help reduce anxiety and improve mood.

My own self-expression through exercise is walking. Even on a bad day a walk may start out with negative thoughts but if I walk long enough the thoughts change to positive. Walking is an essential part of my depression management and I love it. It's simple and cheap and close to home so that minimizes the possibility of it being added stress.

We have one more thing about self-expression to talk about. It is probably one of the most crucial. You won't want to miss it!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you doing today? Do you have any kind of exercise routine? Do you feel that it helps you to express yourself? Or do you need to start something? Start simple, start cheap, start close to home.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?