How Safe is your Relationship from Angry Andrew?


We all know this guy, Angry Andrew. He is the second 'Depression Go-Away' character I am introducing to you. Of course Angry Andrew is no stranger to anyone who lives with depression.

Anger is a huge component in depression and one which cannot be ignored, or entertained for too long.


One of the best writers for depression recovery is John Folk-Williams of Storied Mind. He has written an article about Depression and Anger which I would recommend. Anger is a huge topic and if it is an emotion that is destroying you or your relationships, I encourage you to find out as much about it as you can.

Anger is a natural and sometimes useful emotion but when it is wrapped in with other irrational depressive thoughts it can be destructive, even abusive. So you had better be on the watch for it.

Here are some things that have helped me deal with anger:

1. Get it out, either on paper or with a therapist you are comfortable with. Get it out but don't throw it around!

2. Remember that anger is often just a symptom of depression. The things you feel angry about you may not even feel angry about if you were not depressed!

3. Don't vent to the person that you believe you are angry with. This may be just a voice of depression. Save that poor person from hearing you rant on about something that wouldn't even bother you if you were NOT depressed.

4. Go for a brisk walk and don't stop walking until your anger is subsiding....

I am not a therapist or an expert, but I know anger too well. Since I grew up in a home where no one ever expressed anger, I really didn't know what to do with my own anger. It has taken years to understand it and manage it and forgive myself.

HOW ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Is anger a challenge for you? Do you have any strategies that have helped you that you?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.





Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?