If You Love Surprises, Then You Will Love Praying!


What does a black cow have to do with prayer? Well, let me tell you my black cow story first and then I will make the connection.

My husband and I had been away in St. Jacobs, Ontario for a few days. As we enjoyed our breakfast one bright winter morning, in a wonderfully windowed dining room overlooking the St. Jacobs Farmers Market and Stockyards, as well as several empty parking lots for outlet stores, I saw a big black blob which caught my interest. As I watched it I thought I saw movement, but no, I concluded, that must just be the wind, it is probably a big black garbage bag.Unknown Object

I continued enjoying my tea and then I saw the big black bag, walk across the road! It was a cow which had escaped from the stockyards! What unexpected fun, and a great show for me to watch during my holiday breakfast. The cow slid a bit on some of the pavement, then headed out to a road behind the hotel.

I got out of my chair to get a closer view and noticed the traffic on that road was slowing down, so I assumed the cow was on the road! We lost sight of the cow and prepared to go out for the day. As we drove toward the Farmers Market we saw police cars and a farmer in a truck, trying to corner the poor confused cow. It was truly out of its element.

Cars were stopping everywhere to watch. It was something totally unexpected in everyone's day, even the cow's!

The unexpected tickles a part of me that nothing else can. I become like a kid for a few moments, enjoying the sight of something I have never seen before. It is fresh and unasked for.

I am ashamed to say that sometimes I get answers to prayer that are unexpected. There have been times when I have prayed and forgotten what I have prayed about and so if the answer presents itself, I might have forgotten and given God no credit whatsoever.

It happened last night. We lost something (which happens often around here) and so we prayed and asked God to help us find it. I believe in a God who is interested in problems both big and small. We still couldn't find it and I kept looking for awhile and then gave up. A short while later my husband called "found it!" and I am ashamed to admit that I was a little surprised. Answers to prayer can be unexpected (oh me of little faith!) but I continue to pray because God has answered enough in both big and small ways that I know he hears me and I know he cares.

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him."! John 5:14

Answers to prayer, just like that cow in the parking lot, can be unexpected surprises but very real. If you get a kick out of the unexpected the way I do, put God to the test, pray and wait and expect.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Is it an unexpected surprise for you when God answers? Is that a good surprise? Or are you sure you won't even be heard and so you don't bother praying? Are you afraid to pray? Pray and let God surprise you.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?