"Plop Plop, Fizz Fizz, Oh What a Relief it is!" (Antidepressants: The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Part one)


Do you remember this Alka Seltzer tv commercial from 1976?

"Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is" was an advertising slogan which won many awards.

What a wonderful and cute promise. Just plop two tablets into a glass of water,  drink it and voila! Instant relief! I can't even tell you if it worked because I never tried it. But 'Alka Seltzer' is still in business so I imagine it does work to some extent.

The ad promises RELIEF and SPEED! Don't we all want some of that?

I am using this as a beginning for a new series about antidepressants which I am calling "ANTIDEPRESSANTS, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY".

There are several questions I would like to address in this series:

1. If antidepressants work so well, then why doesn't everybody take them all the time?

2. If antidepressants work so well, why are so many people still suffering from depression?

3. When antidepressants don't work, why do we keep taking them?

4. Why do so many doctors prescribe antidepressants, send you home and expect you to journey through this illness alone?

5. Who is benefiting most from antidepressants, the patients or the pharmaceutical companies?

These are just a few thoughts I would like to explore in the next little while.

Be warned! I am NOT suggesting everyone should STOP taking their antidepressants.


WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Are you taking antidepressants? Are they working?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?