The Depression Go-Aways - Send them on a Road Trip!


The last six posts have featured some of 'The Depression Go-Aways' - characters I created to demonstrate something that is important in increasing our awareness of depression and how it affects us and others.Unknown Object

But you know what? I got kind of mixed up and found it hard to keep my characters straight! I only just now noticed that I mentioned 'Angry Andrew' twice!

My concentration isn't so good lately and these things happen. I am sure you understand about having concentration challenges. It goes with depression, right?


Anyways, my whole point for creating my little cast of characters was yet one more attempt to teach and remind all of us something about depression that maybe we have missed and that is this:

Depression is an illness that presents itself in our emotions, in our thoughts and in our attitudes. It changes those parts of ourselves. It can make a big difference in our recovery when we can recognize some of those emotions as NOT GENUINE, but a symptom of the illness.

And so my little cast of characters are just a reminder for all of us to be on the alert. Try to recognize Ruminating Ruby, Angry Andrew, Manic Matthew, Irrational Irene and Worried Wanda as possible alerts to depression coming on.

How has this kind of vigilance helped me with my depression?

1. Prevents me from acting out on some of these emotions.

2. Helps me to recognize a depressive episode before it becomes too serious and do something about it.

3. Eases up my guilt over these behaviours so I can...

4. Forgive myself!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Could you use some prevention, or help, or easing, or forgiving over your depression?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?