Bipolar Boot Camp: Goodbye!


It is time to hang up your Bipolar Boot Camp Boots. Sure do hope you got a little something out of it. Depression Getaway is built on the premise that little things can make a big difference.

The idea for the Bipolar Boot Camp came as a result of a workshop I did recently at our hospital mental health unit. In some ways I didn't learn anything new, but it helped me to review what I already know and apply some stuff that I haven't tried before.

I have a new psychiatrist who I like. I am sort of starting over with her, starting fresh in many ways.

Unknown Object
And so, despite the fact that I have had this diagnosis for a long time and despite the fact that I have researched depression and bipolar to a great extent, and despite the fact that I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING, or so it seems, I am trying to see this illness with fresh eyes and a new mind.

So, when my wonderful new psychiatrist suggested that I might want to try a Bipolar Support Group, I decided to give it a try, being sure that there was nothing new to learn, and that I really didn't want to sit in a room with other people with this same miserable illness and complain about their symptoms or their miserable lives etc.

Hey, handling my own bipolar is enough challenge to me, hearing about others, more than I care to bear!

But I was in for a gentle surprise.

Yes, I did not learn anything new, but, like a good Sunday sermon, I was reminded about things I already knew but had forgotten and had not been putting into practice for a long time, such as the MOOD CHART.

Yes, people did complain about their lives but instead of wishing they would shut up I found myself surprisingly filled with compassion for their circumstances and sometimes was even able to offer a word of encouragement which made me feel useful. It made my own experience with bipolar useful, not a terrible waste as I sometimes think of it.

The group facilitator was particularly articulate and compassionate and encouraging and not judgmental or condemning in any way, which was absolutely refreshing.

I came away from the experience encouraged and revitalized to simply keep on keeping on with this 'crazy' illness called Bipolar.
I hope that some little tidbit from my Bipolar Boot Camp might have done the same for you.

The most important thing to remember for anyone suffering with any kind of mental illness is this:

DON'T GIVE UP!

And so with that in mind we continue along with Depression Getaway, providing strategies and encouragement and HOPE.

HOPE  is going to be our topic for the next little while. You won't want to miss your weekly SHOT of HOPE!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Have you learned something new? Are you just going to read about it or are you going to apply it? 

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?