Dressing for Depression




"Dressing for Depression"?

What could I possibly be referring to? Are there really clothes that will make a difference?

Well no, although I do recommend always dressing comfortably and in colours that cheer you (just sayin...)

In my Christian world, I cling to a bible verse (Ephesians 6:10-18) which advises me to 'put on the full armour of God so you can take your stand against the devil's schemes'.

Depression could be  considered 'the devil's schemes'.

In the Christian world that armour would include using your bible knowledge as a weapon, using prayer to get some peace, using the power of God to ward off evil spirits etc.

If I simplify that for my little mind I interpret it to mean, be ready, be intentional. Don't just let it all happen.

There was a popular song a long time ago "Que sera, sera" which means whatever will be, will be. No, no, no, we cannot afford to be so relaxed when it comes to mental illness.

Sure we're tired, uninspired, sad, bored, and discouraged when we're depressed. But that doesn't mean we should stop doing things that we know might help.

It's personal for each of us. You know what helps you, I know what helps me.

Here's what I  TRY to do daily to 'dress for depression'.
  1. keep a routine
  2. get a good night's sleep
  3. eat healthy
  4. get some fresh air and exercise everyday
  5. do something I enjoy
  6. make a contact with one person who is positive, who I care about and who cares about me
Those are all proactive, productive things to do.

These are intentional. 

Sometimes I do all six of these intentional things by ten in the morning and yet the day is downhill from there. But I at least try to do these things. And when I crawl into bed after another not so great day, I can still say, "well, it wasn't a totally bad day. I slept, ate healthy, went for a walk, worked on my writing and talked on the phone to my sister. Why I even cooked supper! Wow!"

But some days are so bad I can't even do those things.

But even on those really bad days I try to be 'intentional'.
I intentionally choose to do nothing that day, veg out, maybe even spend the whole day in bed or on the couch in front of the TV. I will stay in my pajamas all day. (I have some very colourful ones that my husband and I jokingly refer to as my 'bipolar pajamas'!) When my husband sees me in those pajamas he claps and cheers and says "good for you! You are doing just what you need to be doing today!"

 WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Are you just lying around letting depression dominate your every thought and action, or are you being intentional about the way you handle it?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?