Laughter - My Favourite Depression Getaway


It's no secret. My favourite depression getaway is laughter.

When I was growing up I remember getting in a snit and wanting to pout and punish anyone around me. My Dad would say 'now don't you smile Wendy' and I would try to hold on to my pout. He would say 'no smiling, there will be no smiling in this house' and that was it! I would immediately smile and couldn't wipe that smile off of my face. It worked every time. Not that I was glad about that. I really did want to pout a little longer and punish those terrible parents who had caused my disappointment. But alas, smile I did and it made it much easier to move on from my troubles.

Unknown Object
I'm not making light of how serious depression is and how real those sad emotions are. But I do know that it's not only possible to laugh in the midst of it but also to receive benefit from laughter.
Brightkite describes some of the benefits of laughter.

"Humor is infectious. The sound of roaring laughter is far more contagious than any cough, sniffle, or sneeze. When laughter is shared, it binds people together and increases happiness and intimacy. Laughter also triggers healthy physical changes in the body. Humor and laughter

strengthen your immune system,
boost your energy,
diminish pain and
 protect you from the damaging effects of stress.

Best of all, this priceless medicine is
fun,
free, and
easy to use."

Now, you may say that it's hard to laugh when you're alone and depressed. That's true, it's hard, but not impossible.

You can 'Make Yourself Laugh for No Reason, Instantly Relieve Stress, Feel Wonderful', check it out. Did you laugh? There are several more laughing videos on that page - indulge!

It' not rocket science. We do not need a reason to laugh. Babies 'know' that instinctively. Check out this delightful Youtube.

When we're depressed it's too easy to forget these little things. It's hard to force ourselves to do anything, let alone laugh. It's hard but not impossible.

Do you want a break from depression? Even a short one? Go ahead and LAUGH!

Are you laughing yet? Why not? Come on, don't just read this stuff, DO IT!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Had a good belly laugh lately? Why not right now?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?