Meet Victorious Blogger Jeanette Levellie



How is it possible for someone who writes books titled 'Two Scoops of Grace with Chuckles on Top: Sweet, Funny Reminders of God’s Heart for You'   or 'The Heart of Humorto be battling depression?

With Jeanette Levellie it is totally possible. Check out her dynamic blog 'Hope Splashes' and see for yourself. She is one of many 'victorious sufferers'.


She even manages to encourage other writers with her book 'Writing Books: Shock The Clock: Time Management for Writers and Other Creatives'.

I have been familiar with Jeanette's faith filled writing for a long time now. Her tagline 'finding gold in life's puddles' sums up both her philosophy for her blog as well as her purpose for writing.
Find out more about this dynamic author and read on!

Unknown ObjectWhat inspired you to start blogging about mental illness?

I don’t really blog about mental illness per se, but try to offer hope and humor to anyone who needs it, whether they’re just having a bad day or are super sad.

What were your original goals?

To make others laugh; to give them hope in a dim world; to give them a view of God as a loving Father who is full of grace and compassion.

Has the blog accomplished those goals?

I believe so.

Have your goals changed?

No, but they have morphed a bit. Sometimes I do an author interview with a book giveaway, because I find reading a source of hope and entertainment and even a fun escape.

Has your current content changed a lot from your original content?

Yes. My original blog was for writers. But I realized there are a boatload of those out there, and not as many funny, hopeful blogs that just want to encourage others, so I changed my focus.

What do you think your strengths are as a mental health journalist?

Since I have struggled with depression off and on since I was a teenager, I think my empathetic heart coupled with my zany sense of humor make a fine combination.

What makes your blog unique from other blogs of the same kind?

Me. Hahahahaaa! Seriously, I must say it’s the spiritual element of encouragement from God’s word and His heart of love, plus the humor element.

Do you have some favourite mental health blogs/websites that you frequent and/or admire?

Yours, for sure. I recommended you to my friend whose son has struggled with depression, and she now subscribes. The other one I highly recommend is Michelle Holloman, who is a Christian therapist in the Seattle, WA area. She always offers practical help to love yourself and find solutions to knotty people problems.

How do you know that people benefit from your writing?

I also write a column for our local newspaper, and people tell me all the time how much they love my down to earth style and can relate to my writing. And my book reviews bear it out, that readers appreciate me “telling on myself.” It gives them hope for their messiness.

What do you consider your strengths as a writer? Or what makes you stand out among the rest?

I have a casual, fun style of writing and I share my faults, failures and ditzy doings, but I always leave on a note of encouragement and hope.

Do you have any formal training as a writer? If yes, what kind and where?

Yes, I took a children’s writing course for a year and have an AA degree. I have also attended dozens of classes at writers conferences throughout the nation, taught by professional editors and authors.

Have you ever worked as a full­time journalist aside from your blog? If yes, where?

Not full time, but I have written part time for our local newspaper. For the last 15 years I’ve written a humor/inspirational column and for the last 18 months I’ve done feature stories and lead-ins for them.

If you were to advise someone who is thinking of starting a blog about mental illness, what would you say?

Be real. Tell it like it is. But offer hope. Don’t just give statistics—give us a light at the end of our tunnel.

How have you benefited personally from your own blog writing experience?

It’s made me a better, more succinct writer. It’s also taught me to be a better conversationalist. Since I try to keep my blog posts to minimum wordage so my readers don’t nod off, I’ve learned to “write tight,” and that’s carried over to my conversations. I’m more apt to cut to the chase now than I was before, and edit out a lot of unnecessary details that only I care about. But I’d say the biggest benefit is all the lovely friends I’ve made, many of whom I’ve met personally and developed lifelong relationships with.

If you would like to read stories that give you 'hope for your messiness' you must check out this silly, sincere and sympathetic author.


Thanks Jeanette!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Have you ever thought about blogging?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?