'Cumulative Stress' and Depression: 3 Tips


Would you say that these athletes are experiencing 'cumulative stress'? How long does stress have to occur to call it 'cumulative'?

I am referring to the difference between a stressful situation that starts and finishes in a short time, and a stressful situation that goes on and on and on.... I am pretty sure these athletes were not just running the 100 yard dash, but more likely a marathon of some kind?


I had never even heard of the expression 'cumulative stress' until I came across 'The Theory of Cumulative Stress' by James Clear. But oops! I forgot the best part of that title, the tagline 'How to Recover when Stress Builds Up'. It's a simple theory really. He talks about an 'energy bucket'. Well, you really must read it for yourself!'

'Burnout' is another well used term to describe the collapse that follows depleting our natural energy due to long term stress. But 'burnout' is more serious for someone with mental illness. When we hit rock bottom, all of the symptoms of our illness surface, all at once!

Last time I shared how my husband and I were going through a long difficult year (with a fairly good outcome) of eye surgeries, appointments, etc. and that I was not feeling like a victorious sufferer.

'Cumulative stress' can have an even more devastating effect on depression than every day stress. It's one thing to bounce back after a bad day or two, or even a bad week. But how about a bad year? Do the same strategies apply?

Yes they do!

Here are just a few of my most important coping strategies:
  1. eat well
  2. walk every day
  3. do things I enjoy
  4. rest and recover between busy times
These strategies help me a lot if I can manage to do them. But given this past year with lots of travel, appointments and waiting around at the hospital, plus the stress of our situation, I didn't pay much attention to strategies. There wasn't the time or the opportunity.

My recent circumstances have taught me that 


long term stress equals long term recovery

Usually for me, three days of stress require three days of rest to recover. And so a year of stress just may require a year to recover!
As uplifting as that thought is NOT, as I write this I realize that I have learned something!

Here are three tips:

1. ADJUST - your expectations: long term stress requires long term recovery.
2. CANCEL - whatever you can to make room for those strategies that usually help.
3. MEDICATION - don't make any changes without consulting your doctor..

I remember the first time I ever went to a chiropractor for a chronic back pain, which I had endured for several years. He said "I can help you but it won't be quick. It took a long time for you to get like this and it will take awhile for me to make a difference."

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Are you going through added stress these days? Are you remembering to do your depression management strategies? or are you too tired and distracted to take care of yourself?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.





Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?