'Authentic Crying': Part 3 of Depression Waterworks


Authentic crying might be a new term for you, I know it was for me. But don't judge until you have read the rest of this post.

What isn't a new term though is 'a really good cry'. Have you had one of those lately?

I remember distinctly several good cries I had that were unexpected. I will share one. It was three years after my father had died suddenly at the age of 59. I was at my cousin's wedding surrounded by family. It was a happy occasion. The master of ceremonies was my dad's best friend. Before he began he said something nice about my dad and how he would have loved to have been there for this special occasion. My tears began. I thought I could just wipe them away, but no, they would not stop. I quietly inched my way backwards out of the crowded room and went off to have a good, unexpected cry. The tears would not stop for long time. I was totally overwhelmed with grief as though my Dad had just died.

I was not in control of those tears. They were in control of me. But if they were there, I guess they had to come out right? Once I stopped, I stopped, I was finished crying and able to take part in the happy event once again.Unknown Object

Primal Works talks about 'authentic crying'. They are not talking about the opposite of real tears which would be fake crying. They are talking about real deep body heaving cries. The article infers that this kind of crying is the only kind that is really going to bring the healing needed.

"Authentic crying is a powerful, full-body event. As with any response to pain, it often involves vigorous body movements. This may include curling up, rocking, shaking, twitching, stretching, and writhing.

To those unfamiliar, it may seem like the crying will never end, but it always does. With proper non-judgmental support, crying will lead to an inner emotional movement towards balance and health. Healing is not always immediate, but will occur with time.

You can 'practice' authentic crying when you are crying alone, where no one can hear. As the feelings rise, really let the sound and movement happen. Let yourself be loud. Let the volume be in proportion to the feelings and pressure you are experiencing. If you can belt out a song when you're alone, you can belt out a cry."

What do you think of that statement? Do you agree? Do you think it is a little far-fetched? Would you like to give it a try? Personally I am more able to force myself to laugh than to force myself to cry. I seem to need a reason to cry, but I don't seem to need a reason to laugh. What about you?

This is our third day to talk about the benefits of crying. Clearly sadness is a huge part of depression. Many of us when we are at our worst, can hardly stop crying. If crying is so good for us, then maybe we should NOT stop crying until crying has done its work.

Maybe crying is more of a good thing that we think.

We have one more day to chat about 'depression waterworks'. We are still talking about water, but this time, not necessarily tears....

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Are you convinced that crying might be good for you? Have you had a good cry today?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?