Christmas Crash Helmet: BE PREPARED!


'Christmas Crash Helmut' . Your mood may crash either before or after Christmas. A 'Christmas crash helmet' could protect you from total devestation.

'Christmas Crash Helmet' is the name of this next series here at Depression Getaway. Christmas is a difficult season for many, even those who do NOT have any sort of mental illness. My idea about a 'christmas crash helmet' is to encourage you to prepare for Christmas ahead of time.

CONFESSION? I don't enjoy Christmas. I feel like Scrooge saying that but it's true. It is too extroverted for this introvert. Too busy for this gal who needs quiet routine. Too much shopping for someone who does not like shopping. Add to that the guilt of being depressed during 'the most wonderful time of the year'. You get the idea.

However, I have found a few tricks which help me to navigate the season with less stress and more joy. What could be wrong with that? Would you like to know some of my little secrets? Stay with me for the next few weeks.

Christmas is especially difficult if you have depression 
say's Psychology Today. Let's talk about why.

"Tis the Season to be Jolly"

"Peace on earth and goodwill toward men"

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"

Are any of those sentiments true when you are dealing with depression?

I wrote 'What I Hate About Christmas' awhile ago. Feel kind of guilty using 'Christmas' and 'hate' in the same sentence but there it is! But when I googled 'what I hate about christmas' I discovered I was not alone. Check out 'Am I the only person alive who Hates Christmas?'

Depression doesn't take a holiday on holidays.

Oh how I wish it would but it doesn't.

As we observe the "commercial" Christmas created by Hollywood and the retail business, we fall into the trap of thinking it is real and normal, but it's not.

DO THE MATH:
'glowing notion of happy people during the holidays'  +  depressed person = more depressed person.

BUT WAIT! It doesn't have to be that way. 

The Christmas Crash Helmet will help you navigate the season with the least amount of damage.

Next time we are going to chat about why you need the Christmas Crash Helmet. (Hint: Christmas landmines).

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Is Christmas something you look forward to or something you dread?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression (even at Christmas).


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?