Christmas is NOT 'the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Part 2 of Taking Control of Christmas Chaos



This Staples ad gives me a depression getaway giggle everytime. It is such a fun use of that Christmas song, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

Here are some of the lyrics 



It's the most wonderful time of the year.
With the kids jingle belling,
And everyone telling you "be of good cheer",
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

It's the hap-happiest season of all
With those holiday greetings and gay happy meetings
When friends come to call.
It's the hap-happiest season of all.

There'll be parties for hosting,
Marshmallows for toasting
And caroling out in the snow.
There'll be scary ghost stories
And tales of the glories of
Christmases long, long ago.

It's the most wonderful time of the year.
There'll be much mistletoeing
And hearts will be glowing
When loved ones are near.

It's the most wonderful time of the year.
WOW!

That's a lot of pressure for someone with depression.

Please, don't get me wrong. Christmas CAN be a wonderful time of the year for some, it really can. But for anyone who's depressed, it is absolutely not. And even if you're not depressed, there is a lot of stress connected with Christmas.

Here is a typical conversation you may hear as Christmas approaches. 

"Are you ready for Christmas yet?"

"Not really. I haven't even started my shopping. And I never know what to get for my parents. I know they expect something and everyone else spends so much on gifts, but I just can't afford it. They have everything anyways and I resent spending my scant budget on something they don't even need."

"Oh, I know what you mean. Both sets of grandparents spend so much on the kids that it makes my gifts look cheap by comparison. Where are you having Christmas this year?"

"Well, that's another story. Neither set of parents is willing to celebrate on any other day but the 25th, so as usual we have to split up our time. One of these years I am going to tell them we are staying home and if they want to see us they can come to us."

"I know what you mean. But my parents don't do it anymore. My sister has taken it over and we all hate that. Her house is so dirty and messy you don't really relax and enjoy yourself. And there's no place for the kids to go and play and so we are all cramped into the small living room. No one lingers like they used to at Mom and Dad's. We all go home early. It has stopped being fun."

This is a shortened version of the kinds of conversations many of us will hear at this time of year. Do you hear any joy in that dialogue? (now I realize these are 1st world problems)

Why do we do it? Why do we succumb to the pressures of others?

Why do we let others define the way we spend Christmas?

I know, I know. When it comes to family, there's a delicate balance and you don't want to rock the boat, right?

But is it worth it?

Not if you have depression. No, it's not worth it.

Take care of depression first and then fit Christmas into that plan.
And just how can you do that?

Make a plan, a preventative maintenance plan to survive 'Christmas with Depression'.

We'll get into some specifics next time. For now you may want to check out "Depression and the Holidays Survival Guide".

"A Wonderful Life" is a popular Christmas movie with a beautiful moral and a theme that will NOT overwhelm you with the usual commercial pressures of Christmas.
WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? How are you feeling about Christmas? Is Christmas 'the most wonderful time of the year' for you? Does the pressure to be happy at Christmas affect you?
May you take control of the Christmas chaos this year and NOT let the Christmas chaos control you!

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.






Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?